Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Checking the Bees...The Queen is Gone! :-(




Today we checked in on the bees and confirmed our suspicions...our queen is gone! There were no new eggs and no brood. :-( It seems this year instead of doing my first split, I'll have my first re-queening experience! Aaah, well, either way it's a new lesson in beekeeping! So, the next order of business is to find a new one asap! In the meantime, since the bees are bringing in honey and haven't touched the feeder pail, we took that off and put on a wet honey super. My guess is they may need it back once there's a new queen laying again, and they want to start building more comb and caring for brood, but we'll see... Hopefully soon I'll get my hands on a new queen, and then will post a video of her arrival! The latest on the nuc is that it won't be available until late May now. Stay tuned!


Here's a still shot from the inside of the hive with some frames removed, looking out toward the entrance!

No comments:

Post a Comment