Friday, May 18, 2018

Removing the tape!

Today I made a quick stop to remove the duct tape from the end of the new queen's cage! She has been in there for two days now so the bees are hopefully getting used to her scent. I could definitely tell a difference in the mood of the bees this time...they sounded pretty angry the last couple times, but a lot more mellow today. I'm gonna tell myself it's because they are so happy to have a new queen in the hive! Haha!

From what I've read, if the queen cage is being mobbed by bees and they won't go away when you brush them off, the likelihood they will cluster around her and kill her when she's released is high, and you should keep her in there longer. But, they seemed fine with me brushing them off today and didn't come back, so I think they are getting accustomed to her.

I put the sugar syrup back on in case they need more now for building comb and caring for future brood...we'll see if they take any this week.

Here's a video of what I did today!

No comments:

Post a Comment